Three Cheese Baked Macaroni & Cheese Recipe
Nothing warms the tummy and starts the school year off like old-fashioned homemade macaroni and cheese.
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 sea salt
- 2 teaspoon coarse ground pepper
- 8 ounces Gruyère cheese, grated
- 8 ounces Comté cheese, grated
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 pound pasta (penne, shells, or macaroni all work well)
- 1 cup garlic croutons or Panko bread crumbs
Melt butter in a frying pan. Add onion.
Saute’ on medium low heat, stirring occasionally, until onions brown around the edges.
While onions cook, pour heavy cream and eggs into a bowl and whisk until well beaten.
Reduce pan to low heat and pour egg & cream mixture into frying pan.
Add mustard powder (or, if you prefer, a tablespoon of mustard), cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Continue to whisk on low heat for about 3 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Put a large pot of water on high heat. Be sure to wait for the water to boil and then add noodles. Cook noodles until al dente – follow cooking time on packaging as all noodles are different.
Drain water from noodles. Then, in the same pot, pour heavenly sauce over noodles. Add cheeses and stir. Oh, my.
Place saucy noodles into an oven-safe pan.
For an easy and tasty topping, place about croutons into a food processor until crumbly texture.
Top macaroni and cheese with croutons. Place in preheated oven and bake for about 30 minutes.
Welcome back, school. And welcome back, old-fashioned, macaroni & cheese. Welcome back.