- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground Jamaican allspice (or allspice will work fine)
- 1 tablespoon ground cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 3 cups flour
Preheat oven to 350F. Roll out gingery goodness onto a floured surface to about 1/4th of an inch thick. The dough will be firm enough that you may even be able to roll it and cut your cookies out without using more flour. Cut into little 1 1/2 inch circles or your shapes of choice. Bake for about 8 minutes or until done. Allow cookies to cool completely.
The only thing that could make this better is Apple Bourbon Frosting.
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons apple juice (To make your own: Cut 1 apple into small pieces & stir in 1/2 c. white sugar & 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice. Let sit for 1/2 hour. Stir again and use 6 T. juice from apples in place of apple juice.*)
- 4 tablespoons bourbon
- Dash of salt
Stir all frosting ingredients together until smooth. Spread frosting onto cooled cookies. Allow to dry overnight or for several hours before plating or wrapping. *If you make your own apple juices, you can stir in 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, cook remaining apple pieces & juice (and a little extra water if needed) in a saucepan until apple is softened. Refrigerate and enjoy applesauce later.
Because gluten-free should be grit-free.
This recipe makes about 30 cookies.