Stuffed Artichoke Dip Appetizer
There are a few members of the vegetable kingdom that are especially stuffy. The artichoke is one of the stuffiest, especially after this recipe… Stuffed Artichoke Dip.
Stuffed Artichoke Dip
- 2 large artichokes
- 1/2 fresh lemon
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 8 ounces gruyere cheese, grated
- 4 ounces Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, grated
- 4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 2 ounces cubetti pancetta
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse pepper
Preheat oven to 400°F.
How to Prep Artichokes
- To prepare artichokes for cooking, use a peeler to peel outside of stem off. Discard peelings.
- Hold artichoke on its side and cut off about 1 inch across the top and trim the very tip off the bottom stem. Discard removed pieces.
- Trim bottom stem off so artichoke can sit level on its own. Mince stem and set aside.
- Using kitchen shears, trim the pointed ends off of each artichoke leaf and discard. Rub trimmed leaf edges with lemon.
- Open artichoke up and cut out all the small, thistle-like leaves inside & discard. Watch out because they are very spiky.
- Remove furry center (this is called the “choke”). A rough-edged grapefruit spoon works perfectly for this. Discard choke. Set aside artichokes for a bit.
Preparing the Dip
Place minced artichoke stem, 2 tablespoons of juice from the fresh lemon, mayonnaise, gruyere, parmesan, garlic, prosciutto, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Mix well with hand mixer.
Fill artichokes with stuffing. Set each artichoke on a foot of foil. Bring sides up and cover top of the artichoke. Place both in a baking pan. Bake 30 minutes and then peel back the top of the foil to reveal stuffing and bake another 30 minutes.
If entertaining guests, you can sprinkle with grated cheese or more prosciutto for added beauty.
To eat, pull leaves from outside, dip into the stuffing. Glide top teeth over inside of artichoke leaf, grabbing the soft part of the petal to eat with the stuffing. The circular area inside which is attached to the stem is the artichoke heart. The stem and the heart are the very best parts… your reward if you will.